This course aims to transfer a working knowledge of key Free and Open Source Geographic Information System (FOSSGIS) applications and best practices to the participants. During this course, you will learn about:
- The value proposition of FOSSGIS in comparison with proprietary software
- The platforms on which FOSSGIS can be used (desktop, cloud, mobile etc.)
- Fundamental concepts of GIS
- Using QGIS for data visualisation, creation, analysis and publication
- Using PostGIS, an enterprise ready geospatial database for storing, analysing and sharing geospatial data
- The building blocks of a Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) and the key concepts related to the setup and deployment of an SDI
We understand that the best way to learn is by doing, and we have compiled the course curriculum in such a way as to maximise your time to discover and use the software we present. On completing the course you should be comfortable with key FOSSGIS concepts and ready to take this knowledge back to your workplace to use in productive work on a daily basis!
The Introduction to QGIS course, includes a practical introduction to GIS concepts. This course should adequately prepare trainees for the basic utilisation of QGIS Desktop in a production setting. Users will learn to use and interact with basic GIS data types and services, access and load data and produce basic maps on both platforms.
The training agenda is based mainly on the QGIS Training Manual with custom examples and has the following aims:
- assisting with migration from another GIS package
- an introduction to and a better understanding of GIS concepts
- an overview and practical experience of the core components of QGIS
The last session each day can be used to answer questions on particular issues that have been encountered during the course of the day.